The Firm
Practice Areas
Our Team Featured Clients Firm News Contact Us

TN Canadian and Mexican NAFTA Professional Worker

Law Offices of Yu & Associates

What is the TN Visa?

The TN visa category allows citizens of Canada or Mexico who have at least a bachelorí»s degree or equivalent to seek temporary entry into the US as a professional under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

What is the Duration of the TN Visa?

A TN professional can be admitted to the US for a period not to exceed one year. The TN visa holder can request an extension of stay from USCIS. If approved, an extension of stay may be authorized for up to one year.

How Do I Apply for a TN Visa?

Eligible applicants can obtain a TN visa by submitting an application to USCIS. Canadian citizens can also apply directly at the US port-of-entry.

What Kind of Documents Are Required to Apply for a TN Visa?

The applicant must provide the following documents when applying for the TN visa:

  1. A statement from the employer with a full description of the nature of the duties the beneficiary will be performing, the anticipated length of stay, and the arrangements for pay or reward;
  2. Evidence that the beneficiary meets the education and/or alternative credentials for the activity;
  3. Evidence that all licensure requirements, where applicable to the activity, have been satisfied;
  4. Evidence of Canadian or Mexican citizenship.

What Kind of Visa Should the Dependents of TN Visa Holders Apply For?

The spouse and unmarried minor children of a TN professional can seek the admission under the nonimmigrant TD visa. Dependents can study in the US but may not be employed while in TD status.


The above is intended as a general introduction and should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion for your particular case. Please contact the Law Offices of Yu & Associates with any specific questions. Tel: (301) 838-8986, Email:, Address: 110 N Washington St., Suite 328E, Rockville, MD 20850.

© Yu & Associates, 110 North Washington Street, Suite 328E, Rockville, MD 20850. Tel: 301-838-8986