The Firm
Practice Areas
Our Team Featured Clients Firm News Contact Us

What should you do if you are involved in a car accident?

Law Offices of Yu & Associates

If you are involved in a traffic accident, you should take the following steps to protect your rights and make a claim:

  • Immediately call the police. You should call the police immediately after the accident, ask the police to come to the scene, explain the situation, and request the police to issue a police report. You can request a police report on the spot or later, for use by the insurance company and in other subsequent processes.
  • Exchange information. Immediately after the accident, you should record or take a photo of the vehicle's license plate number and the driver's name, driver's license, contact information, and insurance card information.
  • Witness information. If there were witnesses to the accident, you should obtain their names and contact details.
  • Seek medical treatment promptly. If you are injured, you should seek immediate emergency treatment. If your injury does not seem serious, you should still seek medical attention as soon as possible. Because many injuries resulting from a car accident can be internal and only show up in the hours or days after the accident, it is important that you are checked and treated by medical professionals.
  • Take pictures on site. You should photograph the damage to the vehicle(s), the scene of the accident, and the surrounding road conditions to preserve evidence that may be relevant to the accident.
  • Consult with an attorney immediately. You should speak to an attorney experienced in handling personal injury cases right away. You should report the accident to your insurance company, but do not discuss your health or injuries with the insurance company; let the attorney handle this for you. With your authorization, your attorney will communicate with the insurance company about your injuries.
  • Notify your insurance company. Call your insurance company and tell the insurance company that the accident happened. Depending on your coverage and the condition of the vehicle, the insurance company will guide you through a vehicle damage assessment and may provide you with a temporary rental car.

The above is a general introduction, and should not be construed as individual legal advice. For specific legal questions, please contact the Law Offices of Yu & Associates. Tel: 301-838-8986, Fax: 202-595-1918; E-mail:, Address: 110 N. Washington St., Suite 328E, Rockville, MD 20850. (All rights reserved.)

Ó Yu & Associates LLC, 110 North Washington Street, Suite 328E, Rockville, MD 20850, USA. Tel: 301-838-8986